Stat Attack: Spain
Michele Merlino interrogates the record books and compiles the vital statistics ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona - the fifth round of the 2011 Formula 1 world championship
Spain personal scorecard
• Sebastian Vettel has started from the front row in Spain for the past two years and scored his first podium in the race in 2010, albeit giving up a place to Fernando Alonso late-on due to a brake problem. Vettel's last victory at Barcelona was in '06 in the F3 Euro Series. Vettel has qualified no lower than second for the past nine races. Only five times in F1 history has a driver bettered this record, the last time being Damon Hill's run of 17 straight front-row starts between the '95 Australian and '96 Japanese Grands Prix. Everything is set for Vettel to make it 10 in a row in Spain, as he has already had three poles from the first four races of '11.
• Last year's Spanish Grand Prix was almost a perfect race for Mark Webber as he led every lap of the race to win from pole position. He did the same two weeks later in Monaco, but did not set the fastest lap in either race. In 2009 he finished third, behind the Brawns, but ahead of Vettel.
To continue reading this feature...
from just $1.50 per week
- Get unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
- Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
- Explore every F1 stat in the world’s best motorsport database
Read this feature right now for just